Why I Can’t Wait for SOBCon 2010
April 13, 2010 4 Comments
I’ve cut back this year on the number of conferences I’m attending. But I have added one new one (for me) – SOBCon 2010. Why?
- 1. It’s small. I prefer the intimacy of small, focused conferences to huge, rush-around mega-events. Relaxed face time and collective thought are more valuable to me than drive-by hellos and party-hopping. Building deep, not broad, is one of my themes for 2010.
- 2. Liz (Strauss) and Terry (Starbucker) have been nagging me to take part, and simply wouldn’t let me say “no” this year. Since I enjoy Liz and Terry time, it’s not really a big sacrifice!
- 3. I’ll get to meet some very cool people that I’ve only interacted with on-line – Jon Swanson, Chris Garrett, Lucretia Pruitt, and others – plus renew friendships with a bunch of folks previously met. The time will be too short, in fact.
- 4. I’m very excited about the theme and can’t wait to brainstorm with a diverse bunch of smart people.
- 5. Events like this one are creative incubators. I fully expect to walk out with renewed energy, fresh ideas, and a mind buzzing with possibilities.
- 6. I like Chicago.
That’s my top 5 + 1 – if you’re going, what are yours? And if you haven’t signed up yet – there’s still time! I hope to see you there!
Oh – and special thanks to Social Media Club Chicago for organizing a tweetup the Thursday night before things kick off. Great idea!
Subscribe to the StickyFigure blog