Twitter is a Big, Fat Waste of Time…
October 5, 2009
…if you don’t have a purpose for using it.
I think it kinda helped to agree with them. Yes, if all you’re doing is posting mindless updates and reading other people’s mindless updates, then sure, it’s a big waste of time.
What most non-users DON’T understand, and which you now have the opening to explain, is:
- 1. Twitter is the best Help Desk invented by mankind (give an example)
- 2. Twitter is a rich platform for “pre-meeting” people that can become friends in real-life (give an example)
- 3. Twitter is a great place to find professional “office-mates” who are valuable sounding boards and sources of information (give an example)
- 4. Twitter cannot be matched for the ability to connect people with others (give an example)
- 5. Twitter is a wonderful tool to learn how to distill thoughts into very compact sentences (these 5 points are an example)
Don’t be intimidated by the ignorant dismissiveness of those who don’t yet “get it.” Take the opportunity to open their minds just a bit, with a quick story about what CAN be accomplished via platforms like Twitter, for those who have a purpose to help, learn, grow, and connect. But if all you’re doing is talking about your dog’s vomit, then maybe it is a waste of time…
Subscribe to the StickyFigure blog